Every year, FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. works with experts in the field to create a Challenge that relates to an important real-world issue. Past Challenges have been based on topics such as nanotechnology, climate, quality of life for the handicapped population, and transportation. The end result of the design process is a Challenge with two defined parts – the Show Me Poster and the Model.
Show Me Poster
The Show Me Poster requires teams to illustrate their research and team journey. It provides an opportunity for them to share what they studied, what they learned, and to show information about the team and each team member.
- Create a Show Me Poster using a flat poster board or tri-fold presentation board.
- Use words, drawings, photos, and small objects to tell about what they have learned during their Challenge research.
- Show where they hunted for answers and describe the people they spoke with on their journey.
- Describe their Model.
- Tell about the team itself.
The Model gets teams moving! Teams build a representation of what they are researching, based off the Challenge.
- Design a Model made of LEGO® parts. Teams are provided with the Inspire Set, which was created just for FIRST LEGO League Jr. teams. It contains 700+ LEGO elements, including those needed to build the exclusive Inspire Model.
- Teams must use LEGO Education WeDo 2.0 or WeDO to build and program.
- Use your imagination as you design and build. Be creative!
BOOMTOWN BUILD Challenge
What if you could build a better world? Where would you begin?
More than ever, we must come together to innovate and solve problems. In FIRST®, you are part of a thriving community brimming with inspiration, creativity, and hope for a stronger, more sustainable future—one that’s built better together. You have the power to help the cities, towns, and places you call home reach new heights. With the support of the FIRST community, this is your opportunity to lead our future forward—and up.
Each year, FIRST LEGO League Jr. presents a new and exciting Challenge to ignite the creativity of children age 6 to 10. Each team of up to 6 children begins the exploration of this real-world theme with an exclusive LEGO® Education Inspire Model. Using this model as a starting point, they design a new model of their own with LEGO® elements. As they work, they learn basic engineering and programming skills with LEGO® Education WeDo and apply those concepts to make their model move. Teams also document their work in an Engineering Notebook and share their journey through a team Show Me Poster. Throughout their experience, teams operate under the FIRST Core Values, celebrating discovery, teamwork, and Gracious Professionalism®.
2019/2020 BOOMTOWN BUILD Challenge:
- BOOMTOWN BUILD Challenge: Letter/A4
- BOOMTOWN BUILD Inspire Set Building Instructions
- BOOMTOWN BUILD Multimedia Connections
- BOOMTOWN BUILD Certificate: Letter/A4